Skip to main content

Full text of "Reflections"

See other formats







North Caroliniana Society 

no. 36 



W. Trent Ragland, Jr. 

Together with Tributes to W. Trent Ragland, Jr., on the Occasion of 
His Acceptance of the North, Caroliniana Society Award for 2004 

12 May 2004 

Digitized by the Internet Archive 

in 2012 with funding from 

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 



W. Trent Rag/and, Jr. 

Together with Tributes to W. Trent Rag/and, Jr., on the Occasion of 
His Acceptance of the North Caroliniana Society Award for 2004 

12 May 2004 

Chapel Hi// 27514-8890 

North Caroliniana society, Inc. 



Number 36 
H. G. Jones, General Editor, Nos. 1-36 

This edition is limited to 

five hundred signed copies 

of which this is number 

* o n 

Copyright © 2004 by 

North Caroliniana Society 

UNC Campus Box 3930, Wilson Library 

Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514-8890 

Email: hgjones(a),email. unc. edit 

Http:/ 1 n a 'ii '. ncsociety. org 

All rights reserved 


Manufactured in the United States of America 




W. Trent Rag/and, Jr. 

Delivered before the North Caroliniana Society, Family, and Friends 
at the Carolina Country Club, Raleigh, on 12 May 2004 

William Trent Ragland, Jr. 

(J //st a few facts that he wight not tel/jo/i) 

Born in Salisbury, August 12, 1920, to William Trent Ragland and Alice McKenzie 
Ragland. Attended Raleigh's public schools, Woodberry Forest School, Virginia Military 
Institute, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (BA. in Geology, 1941), and U.S. Naval 
Academy Postgraduate School at Annapolis. Lieutenant in U.S. Naval Reserve on staff of 
Admiral Chester Nimitz in the Pacific during World War II. Married Anna Wood of Edenton, 
July 22, 1944. Three children, Anna Ragland Hayes, Alice McKenzie Ragland, William Trent 
Ragland, III; four grandchildren. So go the vital statistics. 

Trent Ragland, Jr., began summer work at age 15 as office boy at struggling Raleigh 
Granite Company and by age 1 8 was working in a quarry in Red Hill, Virginia. After college 
and Navy service, he went to Charlotte as sales manager of Superior Stone Company, which 
had been incorporated in 1939 by his father and uncle. After his father's health failed in 1953, 
Trent became president of the company at age 33. When Superior Stone Company became a 
division of Martin Marietta, he served as president and CEO of Martin Marietta Aggregates 
Division in Raleigh until 1976, then, until his retirement, as senior vice-president of Martin 
Marietta Aggregates. 

Trent served as officer or board member of major businesses and rose to the top of 
his profession as president of the National Crushed Stone Association. However, it is for his 
influence in civic, cultural, and educational causes that the North Caroliniana Society especially 
recognizes him with its highest award. Just a sampling of his unselfish volunteer services: 
chairman of the Independent College Fund of North Carolina, chairman of the Peace College 
Board of Trustees and Foundation, president of the Friends of the College Concert Association 
at NCSU, vice-chairman of Carolina Challenge at UNC-CH, and board member of such diverse 
missions as Duke Medical Center, Kate B. Reynolds Health Care Trust, Rex Hospital, 
Ravenscroft School, North Carolina Symphony, Research Triangle Foundation, North Carolina 
Community Foundation, Olivia Raney Library, Boys Club of America, Boys and Girls Clubs 
of Wake County, United Way, YMCA, and Salvation Army. Even so, Trent Ragland has given 
far more than time to eleemosynary institutions, and, though taxing to his modesty, a few of 
his and Anna Ragland's many philanthropies are mentioned by the banquet speakers in 
subsequent pages of this publication. 


W. Trent Rag/and, Jr. 

Good afternoon, everybody. First, let me say how much I appreciate 
your being here. It is wonderful to see each one of you, and I do thank you 
so very much. 

Well, needless to say, 1 am certainly deeply honored — and 
surprised — to receive this North Caroliniana Society Award! 

You know, Dr. Jones has always had two favorite sayings: 
"Substance — not show" and "We seek to do rather than talk about doing." 
After all that, he asked me to get up here and just talk. 

As you will see, I didn't get this award for public speaking, but I hope 
you will bear with me as I try to cany out Dr. Jones's request. 

I asked him, "Talk, what about?" He said, "Yourself. Tell about your 
life and the changes you have seen." This has all been kind of a shock, and 
I've wondered what in the world I could say that would be of interest to you. 

I will say, I have always loved North Carolina and also loved history, 
so the North Caroliniana Society has been a perfect combination for me. I 
have always admired the work of Dr. Jones, President W nichard, and each and 
every member of the Board of Directors. We do have an outstandmghoaxd. 

Early in life, I came across the familiar and age-old adage, which I'm 
sure you know, "Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it," and 
I have always believed that we need to learn what happened in the past — and 
why — in order to help us make intelligent decisions for the future. 

I worry very much that some of our educational systems are not 
teaching history as I would wish. I just heard that the state of Florida has 
dropped American history as a requirement. 


Let me read to you one sentence from the mission statement of the 
North Caroliniana Society: "This Society is dedicated to the promotion of 
increased knowledge and appreciation of North Carolina's heritage through 
the encouragement of scholarly research and writing in and teaching of state 
and local history and literature." 

I've just been reading a book called What J/" that my daughter Anna 
gave me, which traces 2,500 years of close squeaks and narrow escapes. It 
shows that the history of the world is full of what ifs and what might have 
happened in each case if one little thing had gone a different way. Just for 
example, what if the violent storm that raged over Europe on June 5, 1944, 
just before the Normandy invasion, had not suddenly let up? 

Another good example of what ifs: 

Originally, Raleigh and Durham had separate little airports that could 
not be expanded. Somehow, and amazingly, an agreement was reached 
between the city councils of Raleigh and Durham and the county 
commissioners of Wake and Durham to build and share one airport at a 
certain location between Raleigh and Durham. If that had not happened, 
there would certainly be no Research Triangle and many, many dozens of 
other enterprises in this area. Raleigh had 23,000 people when I grew up. 
Now, the Triangle has over one million. 

I mention this because my life has been full of what ifs, along with a 
great deal of luck. I'll try not to keep saying it, but as I talk, you will notice so 
many times that without good luck, and a lot of what ifs along the way, things 
could have turned out entirely differently. 

I was born in 1 920, and here are some things that have changed since 

When I came into this world, no woman had ever been allowed to 
vote in this country. We got that changed pretty soon, and it would be 
interesting to know the difference that women's suffrage has made. 

I grew up in Cameron Park in Raleigh, and across the street from our 
house was 200 acres of woods and streams where we played every day. Today, 
it is called Cameron Village Shopping Center. 

To make a phone call, first you had to listen to see if anyone was 
already using the party line. Then Central would say, "Number, please." 
Down in Edenton, my wife Anna's home town, she would say, "Central, ring 
me 97, please." Central might reply, "Anna, Maty and Betty are over at 
Myda's right now." 

We had one telephone, so if the phone rang and we were in bed 
upstairs, we had to run downstairs to answer it. Now, people have phones in 
their pockets. 

We had one bathroom and one car and we had one aunt living with 
us. Still, we considered ourselves very fortunate. 


We were very close to what was then known as State College, and 
their loud whistle would ratde us at six o'clock every morning. The president 
of the college, Dr. W. C. Riddick, lived in a little brick house next door. In his 
suspenders, he would sit and read his paper on his front porch, which had no 
roof. No chancellor's residence then. 

One day, my daddy brought home a radio, the first in our 
neighborhood. It was the day of a prize-fight — I believe it was Jack Dempsey 
and Gene Tunney. Anyway, he put the radio in an open window and turned 
on the fight. I don't know how they knew it, but a whole crowd of our 
neighbors gathered in our front yard to listen. 

When the World Series came, the N <& O would put up on the front 
of their building a giant board that represented a diagram of the ball field. A 
man got up there with a telegraph clicking away, and whenever a runner got 
on base, he would place a figure on the proper base — or take him off. A huge 
crowd would gather out in the street and cheer. That was the only way to 
know what was happening in the World Series. 

Probably the most excitement was when the Poyner children put on 
their annual circus, jimmy, Man 7 , and George. They lived on our block. They 
all had ponies, and in the morning before the circus, they put on a parade 
through Cameron Park to generate customers. They strung a wire around 
their yard and hung blankets on it so we had to pay five cents to see the circus. 
They were very talented and did a lot of things that real circuses did. 

I don't remember my parents ever taking us anywhere, except 
sometimes on Sunday afternoons they might take us for a ride, because having 
a car was something of a novelty. This was a real pain. My brother and I, on 
the back seat, would get to fussing and they would put me out to walk home. 
Most days they would just open the door at home, let us out, and tell us to be 
home by dark. There was certainly no soccer, no T-Ball, or basketball or 
Indian Guides or anything like that. 

Sometimes in high school, we would get up mz/early and walk to State 
College and play tennis, walk home, eat breakfast, walk to school, walk back 
to lunch, back to school, and back home. There was no such thing as a school 
bus. We walked to town for the movies, which cost ten cents. Sometimes we 
would run along beside the streetcar and call ourselves saving eight cents! 

Of course, all the years I was growing up, we were in the middle of 
the Great Depression. 

I found a copy of the wage scale of the Raleigh Granite Company, 
which shows that the rate for labor in 1929 was 20 cents an hour. In 1930, it 
was 17V2 cents; in 1931, 15 cents; and in 1932, 10 cents. That wasn't the worst 
of it, though. It shows the average days worked in 1929 was 300, and in 1932, 
130 days. 

I have here a letter from the Carolina Country Club, where we are 


right now, and I'd like to read you a small part of it. It was written August 12, 
1932. "Dues: Resident Members, $10 per quarter. Initiation fees: $10.00. We 
are enclosing application blanks and ask that you work to secure new 
members." You wouldn't think it would be too hard at that price, but they 
apparently had to really work at it. 

I've thought about who and what motivated me and, undoubtedly, my 
father was the main one. I thought everything he said was right, and I really 
wanted him to think I was doing O.K. He never told me so, but I kept trying. 

Incidentally, my father also went to Carolina, and during vacations, 
he worked in a granite quarry near Salisbury. They were cutting out paving 
blocks and tombstones — there was almost no such thing as crushed stone. 
One time, the town of Salisbury floated a bond issue to pave two blocks of 
Main Street and some crushed stone was used. Then my daddy's boss told him, 
"You better go back to the cutting shed. People are going to keep on dying, 
but I can't foresee the need for any more crushed stone." 

At Carolina, mv father's professor was Nancy Cobb Lilly's 
grandfather, Dr. Collier Cobb. In fact, I think he taught everyone who went 
there in those days. Dr. Cobb started a subdivision in Chapel Hill, and my 
daddy thought so much of him that he cut out a granite block to mark the 
entrance, and on it he cut "Cobb Terrace." You can still see it today. 

My father was anxious to preserve the history of our highway system 
while some of the people who knew about it were still living. So, in 1 952, he 
published North Carolina Roads and Their Builders. It is a beautiful book with 
300 pages, and it starts with the first Indian trails and tells how the Highway 
Department was started and how the first roads got built, and it contains many 
maps and many pictures of the people who were involved. He had 5,000 
copies printed and sent one to ever) 7 school library in the state. Later, with the 
help of John Harden, we brought out Volume II to bring it up to date. 

Another who motivated me is certainly my wife, Anna. She was from 
Edenton, which was a colonial capital of the state and is full of history. Dr. 
Whichard has recently written a great book about a resident of Edenton, 
James Iredell, who among many things was appointed by Washington to the 
first Supreme Court of the United States. Anna's home was called "Hayes" 
and was built in 1814. She was the last person born there before they started 
having hospitals. One wing contained an octagonal room that housed the 
library. It contained about 2,000 books, dating back to the late 1 500s. It may 
have been the largest private library in North Carolina. A few years ago, a 
replica of this library was constructed on the first floor of Wilson Library at 
Chapel Hill, and most of the books were moved there. Today, you can open 
that door, walk in, and you are in Edenton. It is almost exactly as it was down 

Anna has been the mainstay in my life and has helped me in more 


ways than I can tell. She took care of everything while I was traveling 
constantly on business, and she entertained in our home countless customers 
and friends. She went to dozens of conventions with me, and she and 
Henrietta Badham would hold open house till 2:00 A.M. to entertain 
customers there. She brought us and brought up three wonderful children: 
Anna, Alice, and Trent, who are here today. They have been such a joy and 
such a help to me. 

The other night someone was asking each of a group of us what we 
would like to come back as in our next life. I said, "I don't know, but I'd sure 
want to have the same wife!" 

I'm happy to say that if we make it to July, Anna and I will celebrate 
our 60 th wedding anniversary! 

When I was in the 6 th grade, my father said he would give me a dollar 
if I would learn the one hundred counties in North Carolina, their county 
seats, and where they were located. When the time came, I only got 98, but 
he gave the dollar anyway. That was great information and just an example of 
how he helped me. 

One summer, when I was 16, Daddy told me to go to Mrs. 
Hardbarger's business school to learn shorthand and typing. I was the only 
male in the entire school with 200 girls, and I didn't know why I was there, but 
typing turned out to be one of the best things I ever learned, especially when 
computers came along. 

When I was in high school, my father told me he had decided to send 
me off to Woodberry Forest School. I had never heard of it, but that was the 
extent of our deliberations. 

When I lacked one year of graduating there, he told me he had 
decided to take me out early and send me to the Virginia Military Institute. He 
said, "We are going to get in a war, and you need some military training." End 
of that discussion. This was jive years before Pearl Harbor. He said, "Don't 
worry, I've got someone who went to school there to take you there and get 
you squared away." 

This person took me up there, stopped at the entrance gate, put me 
out and said, "It's right through that arch over there." When I went in, I 
didn't know what had struck. 

Toward the end of that year, I said to my father, "If I'm going to live 
in Virginia, this might be all right, but I think I want to live in North Carolina. 
Also, I think most everybody I know there goes to Chapel Hill, and it seems 
like that would make more sense." I held my breath, and he said, "O.K." 

After I learned that I wasn't going back to VMI, I just about stopped 
studying and, of course, my grades went down. My daddy called me to talk 
about this and I said, "It doesn't matter since I'm not coming back here next 
year." That was definitely the wrong thing to say. The next morning he called 


me to come down to the hotel in Lexington, Virginia. He had gotten up way 
before dawn and driven up there for the sole purpose of laying down the law 
to me — that I had to do my best wherever! was. I was really impressed that, as 
busy as he was, he would drive all the way up to Lexington. I buckled down 
and did well enough to get into Carolina. Thank goodness! It has meant 
everything to me to have gone to Carolina. 

My roommate had gotten so lovesick that he also stopped studying, 
but his daddy didn't come up there, so, when we got to Chapel Hill, he 
couldn't get in! 

I was really looking forward to seeing Ferebee Taylor here tonight, 
but as you probably know, he died very recently. 

When we were in school, a lot of nights after supper, I would say to 
Ferebee, "We can't study in this fraternity house. Let's go to the library or 
find an empty classroom where we can really concentrate." We'd get down 
there and start talking about everything and sometimes get to discussing some 
of our different opinions, and about 9:00 o'clock, I would say, "I'm getting 
sleepy. I think I'll go back and go to bed." He would stay there and study 
until about 2:00 A.M. So, I barely graduated, and Ferebee became a Rhodes 
Scholar and chancellor of this university. I was on the Interfraternity Council, 
president of my fraternity, and head of the Order of Gimghoul — things like 
that — but I was not good on studying, and I've had to pay for it every day of 
my life. 

When Ferebee became chancellor at UNC, he got the idea to organize 
the very first campus-wide fund-raising campaign and called it the Carolina 
Challenge. He asked me to be vice-chairman, and we worked on it for two or 
three years. We raised some money, but we had no idea how to even ask for 
the kind of money being raised today. 

I majored in geology, and a requirement for graduation was a six -week 
field trip in western Virginia. Well, nobody had a car, including the teacher. 

So I went home and told Daddy I would need a car in order to 

He said, "You go tell Dr. Frank Graham that it's necessary to buy a 
car in order to graduate from UNC, and if he says that's right, I'll buy you 
one." Well, I didn't go, but it was true that we had to take the field trip to 
graduate, so he finally bought me a car. 

So, at my graduation in Kenan Stadium, he came, and I think he was 
feeling pretty good about it until they called out my name and major and the 
person right behind him said, in a loud voice, "Geology! Why would anyone 
take Geology?" 

While I was still in school, in 1939, my father and Uncle Edmond 
found themselves without a job. So they decided to start a new company and 
named it "Superior Stone Company." 


I went over to visit the headquarters in Raleigh and found it was two 
little rooms up over Walgreen Drug Store. Daddy and Uncle Edmond were 
in one room and Mr. Lawrence Shuping was in the other. And that was the 
entire company. They had no other employees, no plants, nothing. 

By the time I finished school, though, they had built a plant near 
Maysville in eastern North Carolina. I went to work there the day after 

We were getting out crushed stone to build the Marine bases at New 
River, Camp Lejeune, and Cherry Point. We were running 22 hours a day, 
seven days a week. I remember we had two hours off for lunch on Christmas 

When Pearl Harbor hit, I went the next day to the post office in 
Raleigh to enlist as an ordinary seaman in the Navy. I passed all the tests until 
the last one, which was for color perception. I couldn't tell anything, and the 
guy said, "Put on your clothes, buddy. You'll never get in this man's Navy. 
You've got to be able to tell red from green!" 

The construction at the Marine bases was under the Navy, and it was 
all under Captain Cotter in Norfolk. He would come by our quarry 
occasionally, so I started shining up and putting on clean clothes in hopes of 
seeing him and showing him around. This happened several times. 

Mr. Bob Shepard was our sales manager, and he decided to try to help 
me get in the Navy. He took me to see a friend of his in Norfolk, who took 
us to see his friend who was a doctor at the Naval Operating Base. After a 
little discussion, the doctor sat down and wrote me a waiver to get in the Navy 
with color blindness. I had no idea there was such a thing, and as far as I 
know, it was the only one ever issued. It may not have even been legal. Then, 
we went to see Captain Cotter. He had a row of buttons on his desk and he 
punched one, which brought in an officer with a clipboard to talk with me. 
I thought to myself, "Maybe I can get a job here helping him in Norfolk and 
learn something about the construction business." Then I went back to the 

About a month later, I got a letter addressed on the envelope to 
Ensign W. T. Ragland, Jr. The letter read, "You are hereby commissioned an 
Ensign in the U.S. Navy. Report immediately to the Commander-in-Chief 
Pacific Fleet for duty on the staff." 

Before I knew what had struck, I was in San Francisco awaiting 
transportation to Pearl Harbor. I went to Western Union and sent a wire to 
Bob Shepard saying, "Whatever you are doing to help get me in the 
Navy — please stop!" 

When I arrived at Pearl, an officer read my orders and said, "Take this 
officer to the Submarine Base." I said, "Sir, I thought you had to volunteer 
for submarine duty." 


When I got there, I found that Admiral Nimitz had set up temporary 
CINCPAC headquarters in the submarine base. 

When I arrived at the headquarters, they discovered I could type and 
sat me in front a typewriter typing a gaggle of unrelated letters all day like 
XPTQFRZ, and out would come English translations of Japanese messages. 

On or about my second day, out came a message from the Japanese 
translated into English that said, "Invasion fleet departing to attack AF." 
Admiral Nimitz really didn't know where point AF was — it could have been 
anywhere — but he thought it was probably Midway or Oahu. I'm sitting on 

So, he had us send word by cable to Midway for them to send out a 
plain-language radio message, "Condenser at Midway has broken down and 
will soon be out of fresh water." We then sent out a plain-language radio 
message, "Water barge on way to Midway." It wasn't long before we 
intercepted a Japanese message, "Point AF running short of fresh water." So, 
that's how we knew where the invasion was coming. Talk about irbat ifs\ And 

Well, the fleet had just limped in from the battle of the Coral Sea 
where one of our carriers had been sunk and many ships had suffered damage. 
They were due for extensive dry-dock and other repairs, but Admiral Nimitz 
turned them right around and sent them straight to Midway to intercept this 
invasion fleet. As you may know, we sank four Japanese carriers and damaged 
other ships and foiled the invasion. This was the absolute turning point in the 

All because I typed out XPTQFRZ! 

Another time, we received a Japanese message that Admiral 
Yamamoto was going to be flying to a certain place at a certain time. He was 
commander-in-chief of the Japanese Navy and had been in charge of the 
attack on Pearl Harbor. 

The big question was whether or not to shoot him down. The only 
reason not to was that it might disclose that we were breaking their codes, and 
the outcome of the war depended to a large extent on the ability to continue 
to break their codes. 

It was in the middle of the night, and I happened to be the duty 
officer. (I had been promoted from the typewriter.) So, I took the message 
up to Admiral Nimitz's quarters. His aide took it to him and woke him up. 
(I was glad I didn't have to do that part.) He came out with the reply, 

We sent this out, and later we got a message from our task force, 
"Mission accomplished." 

Admiral Yamamoto was gone. 

Admiral Nimitz was the nicest, most gentle gentleman. His sport was 


throwing horseshoes at lunch, so we all had to learn to throw horseshoes. 

Buddy Cheshire, from Raleigh, was commanding officer of a 
destroyer escort that steamed into Pearl Harbor one day. I borrowed the 
admiral's little whaleboat to go visit Buddy. The boat had five stars on the 
bow. When I climbed the ladder to go aboard, the whole crew was lined up 
at attention to greet Admiral Nimitz. When I appeared, they said in unison- 
well, I'm not going to tell you what they said. 

Let me go back to my grandfather Ragland. 

He grew up in what is known as the McLean House in Appomattox. 

You probably know that the first battle of the War Between the States 
occurred at Manassas and that General Beauregard had taken over for his 
headquarters a house belonging to one Wilbur McLean. Cannon balls started 
coming around, and McLean said he was a peace-loving man and didn't want 
anything to do with the war. So, he left and just happened to move to 

When, four years later, General Lee realized he had to surrender, he 
sent Colonel Marshall out to find a suitable place for the ceremony. The 
colonel was walking down a path in Appomattox and the first person he saw 
was this same Wilbur McLean. He asked him to help find a place for the 
surrender. McLean stated he didn't want anything to do with the war, but it 
was Sunday and the courthouse was closed, so he finally said, "Well, come on 
and have it at my house." That's what they did, and so the war began in 
Wilbur McLean's house and ended in his house, and he had moved 250 miles 
in the meantime. That's a true story. 

Then my great-grandfather bought the house and raised eight children 
in it, including my Grandfather Ragland. 

After the war, a Yankee came down and told my great-grandmother 
he wanted to buy the house, tear it down and move it to Washington for a 
tourist attraction. He said not many tourists would be coming to 
Appomattox. Anyway, she sold it to him for a few dollars and stock in his 
company, and he got as far as tearing it down when he went broke. The bricks 
lay on the ground for 41 years until the government restored it and created a 
national park. 

Anna and I went there last summer and we had to pay to get into the 
McLean House, and a tour guide was telling the group, "It's true the Yankees 
took a lot of things, but they were always careful to pay for them." 

Speaking of what ifs, while I was at Carolina in the summer of 1939, 
I happened to go to the beach for a weekend. I went to a dance hall up over 
the bowling alley where they had a nickelodeon playing and a lot of dancing. 
I just happened to see a friend from Henderson who just happened to be 
there, and he said, "Do you want to meet a good looking girl?" I said, "Why 
certainly." So, he led me out on the dance floor and introduced me to Anna 


Wood, age 16. She was good looking (and still is), and I was immediately taken 
with her. So much so that I have never had a real serious thought about any 
other girl since that moment. I asked her if she would like to go out and look 
at the moon. We did go out and saw the moon, but I hate to tell you, we were 
back inside in about 10 seconds. She told me she was coming to St. Mary's in 
the fall, and when she arrived, I was waiting for her. She came to Chapel Hill 
dances a few times with me over the next two years, but she was also dating 
other boys and wasn't one-tenth as interested in me as I was in her, which 
made me prettv sad. I also came to see her at St. Marv's. There, you had two 
choices: You could sit in the brightly lighted study hall full of people and a 
teacher, or I could bring my mother over to St. Mary's, where she had to climb 
the steps to Smedes Hall and sign Anna out. We would drop Mother off at 
home, but had to retrieve her to take Anna back up the steps and sign her 
back in time for chapel. But, what if I hadn't happened to go to that beach and 
bump into that particular boy who introduced me? 

Then the war broke out and I was off to the Pacific. Anna and I 
exchanged a lot of rather lengthy letters, but the situation didn't seem to be 
any different — still a one-way street after nearly five years. She had graduated 
from St. Mary's and Randolph-Macon and gone to work for the American 
Bankers Association in New York. Finally, on February 8, 1944, in one letter 
she wrote that she had gone out the night before and wished I were there. 
That was a major breakthrough! 

Speaking of letters, that is certainly something that has changed in this 
day of email, faxes, cell phones, etc. After Anna's mother died, they found in 
her attic even' letter that I ever wrote Anna, and we later found every letter she 
had written me. I also found a box of letters my daddy wrote mother for five 
years before they were married, including some from France when he was 
fighting in the trenches in World War I. I have here a letter my mother's 
father, Dr. McKenzie in Salisbury, wrote to the president of Salem College. 
"Dear Dr. Rondthaler, This is to request that you allow my daughter, Alice 
McKenzie, to see Mr. Trent Ragland should he come to call." Not go 
out — just see. They were marriedy/w years later. 

By a strange coincidence, about the same time as I received the letter 
from Anna, I also got a letter from my father saying it was nothing to worry 
about, but Mother was to have a minor operation. If I had not gotten both 
of these letters at the same time, I wouldn't have given the slightest thought 
of going home. But, here a light bulb flashed in my mind. There had been no 
such thing as a single day off or any leave for anyone since the war started, but 
I went to my commanding officer and said, "Sir, my mother is going to have 
an operation, and I really need to be with her." To my amazement, I was 
granted an emergency leave. 

I immediately called Anna in New York and asked her to come to 


Raleigh, and she did arrive there on the train about an hour after I got there. 
Mother had long since recovered from her operation. While Anna was here, 
we planned to get married "after the war," of course, and I had to go back to 
the Pacific. 

Then along came an Alnav message announcing a postgraduate degree 
program at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. Anna said if I came back for 
that, we could get married. That wasn't too smart because we couldn't know 
where I would be sent when I finished Annapolis — certainly not back to 
CINCPAC — or how long we would be separated until the war ended. Plus, 
I was in communications and thought I had about the best job in the Navy 
because even 7 message to or from the fleet, or MacArthur or Washington, 
came across my desk. I certainly was not making big decisions, but it was 
interesting and sure beat going to class all day and studying for exams or 
subjects I was not going to be interested in after the war. But, I didn't want 
her to get away, so I applied for the school, Admiral Nimitz recommended 
me, and I was accepted. 

So, I went to Edenton, got married, and went to Annapolis. Gas was 
severely rationed, but we got enough coupons from friends and family to drive 
to Norfolk and put the car on a boat to Washington. 

When I finished Annapolis, I was assigned to an aircraft carrier in the 
Pacific, which was forming up for the invasion of Japan. Before we could get 
there, though, the atom bomb was dropped and the war came to an end. Talk 
about what ifs\ 

Up until now, all we had known all our lives had been the Depression 
and then war, so we were prepared for more tough times. 

1 applied for a job at Superior Stone and they told me they had built 
a lime plant at Four Hole Swamp, South Carolina, and said if I wanted a job, 
we could move to Four Hole Swamp. But before we could move, our 
manager for western North Carolina left the company to go into business for 
himself, so they sent us to Charlotte instead of Four Hole Swamp. 

Right after we moved to Charlotte, the government started selling all 
of the construction equipment it had bought during the war. I went to Atlanta 
and was the successful bidder on a two-yard power shovel. The price was 
$3,000, which I didn't have. 

I went to the Wachovia in Charlotte, which, I think, was all on one 
floor on South Tryon Street. When I opened the front door, there at the first 
desk was Mr. John Watlington. As you may know, he later went to Winston 
and was president of the whole Wachovia for about 25 years. But in 
Charlotte, whenever someone would come in, he would jump up, bow and 
scrape, and welcome them. 

I told him I needed $3,000 and gave a financial statement. I also had 
a letter of introduction from Mr. Geoghegan, head of the Wachovia in 


Raleigh. Mr. Watlington said he would take it up with the loan committee and 
for me to come back in a week. When I returned, he said, "I am delighted to 
tell you that the committee has approved your loan at 4 percent." I said, "But 
I heard the bank across the street was only charging 3 percent." He said, "Oh, 
really? Well let me take it back up with the committee. Come back next 

When I got back, he said, "I am delighted to tell you your loan for 
$3,000 has been approved at 3V2 percent." "However," he continued, "the 
committee asked me to tell you that if the need for additional funds should 
arise in the future, they suggest you consider the sale of some assets." In other 
words, don't come back! 

We were in Charlotte eight years and, along with everything else, did 
a lot of prospecting and opened up several new quarries. 

One of the most interesting was at Augusta, Georgia. In 1951, the 
government announced it was to build the first and only hydrogen bomb 
plant. This was to produce the successor to the atom bomb, and it was the 
largest construction job in the country. 

I went down there to see if we could find a place to open a quarry and 
get the order. It seemed that every producer in the country was there with the 
same idea. I just about lived there for nearly a year, but to make a long story 
short, we got the order, opened a quarry, and furnished all the requirements 
of the project. The quarry we opened is still operating, and it has shipped over 
a million tons a year ever since. 

Now, here comes the sad part. In 1951, only 11 years after the 
company got started, my beloved Uncle Edmond died very suddenly and 
unexpectedly. This was a major blow to the company and, of course, put 
more strain on my father. Then, two years later, he suffered a massive stroke 
and had to become inactive. So, in two short years, we lost the two founders 
of the company who had, in effect, been running it. Daddy sent word to the 
board, "I want Young Trent to be elected President." I was only 32 years old, 
but he had a lot of influence (and stock), so, guess what, I got elected and held 
the job for the next 24 years. 

In 1959, a man who had just been released from a prison camp broke 
into my daddy's cabin and shot and killed him.. It took me a long time to stop 
thinking about that, if, in fact, I ever did. 

Also in 1959 we merged Superior Stone Company into American 
Marietta, which later merged with Martin to form Martin Marietta, and I was 
on the board of both companies. We were the only aggregates operations in 
the company for 35 years — it was aerospace and rock, which didn't exactly 
figure. We were later spun off to form an entirely separate and independent 
company on the New York Stock Exchange called Martin Marietta Materials. 

After I stepped down, the company really took off and, now, with 



Steve Zelnak as president, it has 342 plants in Newfoundland, the Bahamas, 
and across the United States with sales of over $1,500,000,000. The 
headquarters are still right here in Raleigh, but not up over the drugstore. 

When I reached 80, at a meeting of the board, they gave me a plaque 
that declared me "Emeritus." I took it back to my office and showed it to 
Mrs. Carol Hoke. She has been my secretary for 24 years and also serves in 
a volunteer role as my advisor. I don't even have to ask her for her advice. 
Mrs. Hoke said, "Do you know what 'Emeritus' means?" I said, "Not 
exactly." She said, "It means you are a has been." 

So, with that, I'd better close and say good afternoon. 

Thank you very much again for being with us. 

Anna Wood Rag/and and If". Trent Rng/and, Jr. , at the award ceremony. They celebrated 
their 60"' wedding anniversary ten weeks later on 22 f///y 2004. 

1 ^ 

r «j 


1 _ *»» *N» 

* "^si» 


HEAD TABLE: Left to right, top, H. G. Jones, Anna Raglan d Hayes, Sherwood H. 
Smith, Jr., Laura Carpenter Bingham, and Trent Rag/and, Jr.; bottom, Anna Wood 
Rag/and, Willis P. Whichard, Ere Smith, Warren Bingham, andLeona Whichard. 


Tributes to Trent Ragland 


H. G. Jones 

l^aura Carpenter Bingham 

Sherwood H. Smith, Jr. 

Anna Ragland Hayes 

Willis P. Whichard 

Delivered at a banquet Honoring W. Trent Ragland, Jr., on his acceptance 
of the North Carolinian a Society Award, Carolina Country Club, 
Raleigh, 12 May 2004 


Introductory Kern arks 

H. G.Jones 

Arrowwood, Bakers, Belgrade, Buchanan, Castle Hayne, Hicone, 
Kings Mountain, Mallard Creek, Maysville, Pomona, Neverson, Red Hill, 
Reuben, Rivanna, Trego, Woodleaf, Kay Sand Spit, and Four Hole Swamp. 
Now, if you have been w T atching the head table, you saw that one face changed 
expression as each of those place names was mentioned. So we know that 
tonight we have captured our quarry. His life, public and private, has been as 
solid as the rock that underlies our earth and that provides a natural resource 
indispensable to his and our world. 

Following dinner you are going to hear more about that man of stone, 
and to save time for that purpose we are going to be short on introductions. 
At the head table are Leona Whichard, Warren Bingham, Eve Smith, Willis 
Whichard, Laura Bingham, Sherwood Smith, Anna Ragland Hayes — and, 
finally, please welcome Anna and Trent Ragland. 

And among this august audience, we'll recognize just Anna and 
Trent's immediate family. You've already seen and you will later hear from 
daughter Anna Ragland Hayes, but will these individuals please stand and 
remain standing for your collective greetings: daughter Alice Ragland and her 
daughter Kenzie Keenan; son Trent Ragland III and his wife Wes; Trent's 
brother Bill Ragland; and Anna's sister-in-law Annette Gilliam. Thank you. 

Enjoy dinner, visit with your table mates, and we'll be back after 


For us senior citizens, a quarter of a century is a short time, and it is 
difficult for us to realize that the North Caroliniana Society Award was first 
presented back before the advent of feel-good awards that are now handed 
out so generously that one can sue for discrimination for not having been 
given one. In 1978, we rechristened St. Patrick's Day St. Paul's Day and 
surprised Paul Green with the first award. Tonight's award is the 31 st , all of 
them listed in your program, and though many of our recipients have passed 
on or are in declining health, we are glad to welcome back three of them. Will 
each stand and remain standing and will you withhold applause so you can 
welcome them collectively. William S. Powell and his Virginia, John L. 
Sanders and his Ann, and Frank Borden Hanes and his jane. Thank you. 


For the information of those who did not arrive in time to hear the 
presentation of the inaugural North Caroliniana Book Award, Michael 
Southern, co-author of the winning tide, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of 
Piedmont North Carolina, had to leave early; and co-author Catherine Bishir is 
involved in a national meeting. 

Nancy Lilly, the real hostess for this event, wanted something said 
about the North Caroliniana Society. So I will say two sentences: Our passion 
is North Carolina, and our motto is "Substance, not Show," which means that 
we do rather than talk about doing and we seek service rather than publicity. 
For example, we did not seek publicity for this event, because we wanted it to 
be held in the presence of Trent's family and close friends. But if you wish to 
know more, take your program home tonight, find a strong magnifying glass, 
and read the back panel. 

Not all of you heard Trent Ragland's fascinating reflections this 
afternoon, but don't bother to ask him for a copy of his address, because it, 
along with the full proceedings of this meeting, will be published later this year 
in our North Caroliniana Society Imprints series, a copy of which will go to you 
through the mail. For that reason, in choosing our speakers, we try to think 
of two or three persons who have unique perspectives on the recipient, who 
can put into the public record (for that is what our Imprints do) some aspects 
of his or her life that may otherwise go unrecorded. For Trent Ragland, 
whose life has touched so many, that is indeed a challenge. 

Those of us who looked down Halifax Street from the 
Capitol — before the State Legislative Building blocked the view — and 
wondered if the successor occupant of the Confederate Hospital would 
survive need not have feared. A remarkable rehabilitation started by others 
was built upon by two persons at this table. One is the beneficiary of the 
other. Laura Carpenter Bingham, a native of the North Carolina side of Kings 
Mountain, graduated from Peace College in 1977 and returned twenty-two 
years later as the ninth president of that venerable institution. That was after 
continuing her studies at UNC-Chapel Hill and Indiana University and holding 
positions in public policy, health care, and philanthropy at Duke University 
Cancer Center, at Hollins University, and in the non-profit sector. Ms. 
Bingham's leadership has just recently been recognized by her election to the 
chairmanship of the Association of Presbyterian Colleges and Universities. 
Let's hear the story of Trent Ragland and Peace College, by Laura Bingham. 

[Laura Bingham's address begins on page 22] 

A half-century ago a student from Florida enrolled in the University 
at Chapel Hill and, except for a couple of years in the Navy, chose North 
Carolina his permanent home. After receiving his law degree at UNC, 


Sherwood H. Smith, Jr., opened practice in Raleigh. In 1965 he became 
associate general counsel of Carolina Power and Light Company and, in rapid 
succession, this "Human Generator" rose through offices undl, upon his 
retirement in 1996, he was president and chief operadng officer of the 
company. While serving in those capacities and on various corporate boards, 
he has devoted time and energy to causes as diverse as the North Carolina 
Citizens for Business and Industry, the Triangle Universities Center for 
Advanced Studies, the Board of Visitors of UNC-CH, and the Rex Hospital 
Board of Trustees. He holds the Distinguished Citizenship Award of NCCBI 
and is a member of the North Carolina Business Hall of Fame. A friend of 
Trent Ragland, Sherwood Smith. 

[Sherwood Smith's address begins on page 29] 

No one but the recipient's wife has had greater opportunity- to get to 
know the real Trent Ragland, Jr., than his first daughter, who is following his 
example in the public life of our state. Anna Ragland Hayes is a graduate of 
Salem Academy, Randolph-Macon Woman's College, and the University of 
North Carolina School of Law. She practiced law in Raleigh but now lives in 
the semi-mythical community of Frog Level in Orange County, where she is 
working on a biography of the beloved Susie Sharp, the nation's first 
popularly-elected female state supreme court chief justice. Anna is a member 
and former chairman of the UNC Friends of the Library's Board of Directors 
and serves on the boards of the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, the 
North Carolina Supreme Court Historical Society, and the Institut Francais de 
Washington. For a unique view of the man we honor, Anna Hayes. 

[Anna Hayes's address begins on page 32] 

[Upon completion of the tributes, President Whichard came forward and 
presented the award; see pages 37-38.] 

Trent Kagland and Peace College 

l^aura Carpenter Hingham 

Good evening! 

And thank you, Dr. Jones and Judge Whichard, both great North 
Carolinians — as are all of you in the audience tonight — but these two 
especially know a lot of Tar Heel stories on a lot of Tar Heel people, some of 
which they can tell! 

Warren and I are delighted to join you to mark the accomplishments 
of William Trent Ragland, Jr., and to salute a man who has meant so much to 
many of North Carolina's treasures and beacons, including the one to which 
I am most dearly devoted — Peace College. 

Dr. Jones asked me to center my remarks on Trent's contributions to 
Peace College. I was happy for that assignment but must admit feeling it was 
akin to the moment when a professor in assigning a research paper announces 
its length: "You will write a paper describing the decline and fall of the Roman 
Empire. Please limit yourself to two pages." 

As all of you know, Trent's contributions across North Carolina have 
been many and varied. But it is the depth and tenure of his contributions that 
have had such a great impact. And, I would add, the modest way he 
approaches his missions. 

I know that because of the role he played, and continues to play, at 
Peace College. Last year, the Peace College Board of Trustees honored Trent 
by bestowing upon him the college's highest honor, the William Peace Medallion, 
for his vision and profound leadership for Peace. 

I actually think there may be a sense of destiny in my relationship with 
"Mr. Trent." Perhaps even a bit with the Society. 

The very year the North Caroliniana Society was chartered, in 1975, 


I became a student at Peace College. Trent was serving as a director of the 
Peace College Foundation and as a Peace trustee when I graduated and headed 
to an alma mater we share, the University at Chapel Hill. 

My hometown is Kings Mountain, the location of a Superior Stone 
quarry operation. Trent and Anna never lived there, but Trent was trained, in 
part, along with fellow Superior Stone legend Bill Ross, at the Kings Mountain 
plant under the tutelage of Carl Mayes, whose wife, Lib, would become my 
brother's godmother, four yours before I was born! And years later, Bill Ross 
and my father determined that they were both, by coincidence, at Kings 
Mountain's soda fountain when news of Pearl Harbor reached the mainland. 

There is also something about the women in his life and the 
importance they place on education. His mother "encouraged a concern for 
quality Christian education"; Anna has St. Mary's and Randolph-Macon in her 
blood; and both daughters are intellectually curious and achieving. One could 
say "women rule" in the Ragland family. 

Even Trent III finds himself serving as a trustee at St. Maw's and at 
Peace, with a sense of philanthropic tradition and giving inspired by his father. 
I have the joy of working with young Trent — at times on a daily basis — and 
we both know that "Big Trent" is mighty proud of our work together at Peace! 

Ironically, it almost wasn't to be. 

Bill Ross is who should be credited with getting Trent into such deep 
waters at Peace. For as Trent has explained about the irony of his now long 
and fruitful association, "I had never set foot on the Peace campus, never had 
a soul in my family to go to school there, never dated a girl from Peace. . . . 
I didn't know one thing about it." 

And therein is the beginning of the story. 

Trent became involved with Peace College during the 1 960s, just after 
a very public and difficult struggle over plans by the Presbyterian Synod of 
North Carolina to abandon the Raleigh campus and consolidate it with a new 
college to serve southeastern North Carolina, the college that later became St. 
Andrew's in Laurinburg. 

Some of you in this room may have had differing views about this 
effort, but the expected threat of this action had been hanging like Cicero's 
sword of Damocles over the college's future, really from the early 1950s. 

For a school for girls founded in the 1850s — opened just after the 
Civil War in the 1860s and operating with a noble mission of giving women 
"a thorough and substantial education" — this threat was crippling, divisive, 
and seriously undermined the ability of the institution to establish a firm 
financial foundation to serve, protect, and enhance its purpose. 

A number of people fell in line with the Synod's directive as 
community efforts were mounted in at least seven eastern North Carolina 
cities to attract the new college. In fact, some, like Hector McLean and others, 


believe that other new colleges — among them Methodist College at 
Fayetteville, Wesleyan in Rocky Mount, and UNC-Wilmington — were a result 
of the massive political and civic campaigns that erupted to "win the new 
Presbyterian college." 

But many people disagreed vehemently with the proposal and it 
became a matter of contention within the Synod. Peace's founding church, 
First Presbyterian in Raleigh, sued to keep Peace College open and located on 
our historic campus in Raleigh. The long and exhausting legal battle was 
ultimately won in 1962. 

We can judge today that the fight to keep Peace College in Raleigh 
proved the right thing to do. It's a natural conclusion when you watch the 
college's vibrant growth and its ongoing contributions to North Carolina and 
to the city of Raleigh. 

What happened in those next two decades stands today as a testament 
to Trent Ragland, Jr., and to the "band of brothers and sisters" who engaged 
with him in a historic church-civic alliance that united people in the cause of 
Peace College, galvanized supporters, and ushered in an unprecedented era of 
philanthropy that would propel it to remarkable and lasting achievements. 

In the life of all institutions there are moments that become turning 
points. One of those moments — perhaps its most central since its founding 
a century earlier — was that the struggle over the college ultimately became an 
advantage for Peace, for it propelled Raleigh supporters and the business 
community, other thinking Presbyterians, its alumnae, and others to 
unprecedented progress. 

Forty-two years ago, in 1962, Trent joined the board of the newly 
incorporated Peace College of Raleigh Foundation, established to protect the 
assets of the college from future threats. Trent was elected chairman of the 
board at its organizational meeting and served as chairman for the next 18 
years, remaining a foundation director for a total of 27 years. 

One might assume that the foundation work alone was enough to tire 
any warrior, but Trent also became a trustee — and served for over 20 years. 
He was chairman of the Board of Trustees from 1979 to 1984, five years that 
embraced the goodwill he helped generate in the previous two decades, when 
the campus (largely as we know it today) was "constructed," to leading an 
endowment campaign five times larger than anything previously attempted. 

Trent remains an honorary member of both boards to this day. 

Those of you with experience on governing boards know that what 
I just recited is merely an outline of service. It is the details that enunciate and 
add dimensions and color commentary that complete such a timeline and 
speak to the essence of his contributions. 

I will touch on only a few of those details, but you will see that Trent's 
leadership, vision, gifts, and persistence led the college's seventh president, 


David Frazier — with whom Trent worked most closely — to declare in 1985 
that "Peace College will bear the Ragland stamp for the rest of her life." 

Now, all good warriors know that leadership and propelling forward 
motion for any worthy cause is a contact sport of dramatic proportion. Trent 
Ragland knows that and lived that in his service to Peace College. 

Realizing the value of an institution like Peace to Raleigh, he enlisted 
others in the cause. He made his mark recruiting influential board members 
and creating a sense of camaraderie and shared purpose, involving himself in 
personal outreach and personal example. 

Trent likes to call this the "multiplier effect" generated by the active 
work of the trustees. It is something that can lift and transform an 
institution — and that is one thing Trent Ragland accomplished for Peace 

In addition to this capacity-building, Trent's business associations 
were central to Peace landing what would become the transformational gift to 
Peace College. In fact, it was the Superior Stone, now Martin Marietta, 
connection that made it possible! 

Sherwood Smith will shortly give this corporate history in more detail, 
but it suffices now to say that Chicago industrialist Grover Hermann, of 
American Marietta, became Peace College's transformational donor. 

Really, Trent was actually "stunned" about it, but only a split-second 
before he sprung into action. 

The story is one of faith and courage, of the right timing, right 
circumstances, and right chemistry. It goes, in abbreviated form, like this: 

Trent and Bill Ross were to be at a business meeting with Mr. 
Hermann. Knowing that Hermann was a big Presbyterian, Ross asked Trent 
if he should tell him about Peace. 

Ragland replied, "William (as Bill Ross is called by Trent), if you are 
big enough damn fool to ask Mr. Hermann to give some money to little ole 
Peace College, you go ahead and do it, but it's the biggest fool thing I ever 
heard of." 

So, standing atop the American Club in Chicago, Ross said in a quiet 
moment, "Mr. Hermann, I understand you're a Presbyterian." 

The rest is history. Very shortly thereafter, Grover Hermann made 
the largest-ever gift to Peace, and that single, salutary act launched a series of 
fundraising efforts that changed the course of history for Peace. Hermann's 
gift was three times the previous largest gift, made in 1946 by Kate B. 
Reynolds in memory of her sister, a Peace alumna. 

In a nutshell, the Peace relationship with the Hermanns lasted for 1 7 
years. In the first decade of that relationship, Grover Hermann would give 
over a million dollars to Peace, which just years before had faced being closed 
by the Presbyterian Synod. 


Hermann became known as the "master builder" of the new Peace 
College. But just as important as the amount of money Mr. Hermann gave to 
Peace was the way in which Trent and others leveraged those gifts to boost 
fundraising and prestige for Peace. 

Mr. Hermann's first gift of $300,000 was used as a catalyst to launch 
a matching capital campaign. That effort became the first of four 
campaigns — all energized with matching funds from Mr. Hermann — and each 
campaign was carried out with Trent at the helm of the foundation or as 
trustee chair. 

The fundraising efforts brought in support that allowed the campus's 
largest-ever expansion and construction campaign. New buildings, seven in 
all, included Hermann Student Center, Pressly Arts and Science Building, 
Finley Residence Hall, Belk Hall, Ross Residence Hall, Finch Library, and the 
Browne-McPherson Music Building. Grover Hermann, Bill Ross, and Trent 
Ragland had a hand in each of these buildings. 

Of Grover Hermann's generosity and the leadership of people like 
Trent Ragland, The Raleigh Times reported, "the most important development 
of the Peace campus has not been the new building(s), but the new spirit which 
is keeping the old college in such interesting ferment these days." 

A resolution of appreciation adopted by Peace College's Board of 
Trustees said that Trent, during the efforts of the 1960s and '70s, "dedicated 
his time and resources to the assurance that Peace would succeed in its 
mission, and through these commitments, Peace began a successful 
reorganization program laying the foundation for the dramatic progress which 
has culminated in its present enviable position as a financially sound and 
academically strong institution." 

But Trent wasn't finished. 

In 1980, as chairman of the Peace College Board of Trustees, Trent 
initiated a major "Commitment to Quality" campaign to increase the college's 
endowment. In less than two years, the college raised an amount in new 
endowments five times larger than anything attempted during the 1960s. 

Trent set the pace. Trustee pledges set a new record. Alumnae 
doubled their goal. An amazing 100 percent of the faculty and staff gave. By 
1984, the Peace College endowment had grown from less than one million to 
more than nine million dollars. Those dollars — then and now — are the single 
largest source of support for student scholarships and support of our 
academic programs. 

In those years and since, Trent would do some very smart and 
generous things for Peace. Among them: personally challenging alumnae to 
give by declaring he would match their annual fund gifts dollar for dollar; 
giving the Peace College tennis courts; establishing five endowed funds to 
honor others (Trent was actually trying to get them in the habit of giving); and 


starting the President's Discretionary Fund, dear to every college president, 
including this one! 

The Raglands also provided the seed gift for a new program at Peace 
in 1980 that would take our students — a vast majority of them native North 
Carolinians — to other parts of the world to enlarge their experiences, their 
minds — and indeed — their hearts. 

Their gift was the same size as Grover Hermann's first gift to Peace. 
With additional gifts and investment performance, the fund — now known as 
the Ragland Fund for Foreign Travel and Study — is nearing one million 
dollars and has provided support for student travel of nearly $350,000. 

Among the student beneficiaries are the Peace Chamber Singers who 
next week will leave for their summer European Tour, aided by the Ragland 
Fund. On their last trip, the Chamber Singers performed at The Duomo in 
Italy and Notre Dame in Paris. This year, their capstone performance will be 
at the Canterbury Cathedral. 

One of our recent graduates expressed to Trent and Anna what her 
experiences in London, and later in the Mayan culture of Mexico, meant to 
her — a young woman, Ricki, from the fishing village of Wanchese, in Dare 
County. Of her experience made possible by the Raglands, Ricki says, "My 
view of the world became more huge and full of experiences and ideas . . . the 
experiences began to reel me in, and I was hooked. I couldn't stop wanting 
to learn, know and understand. . . ." Ricki concludes of her venture to learn 
about other cultures that she actually came back having a greater appreciation 
for her own culture, right here in North Carolina. "Some call the Outer Banks 
a place where one can discover a new world but I thought it only a tourist 
attraction, but now I realize that the Outer Banks, even Wanchese, is a culture 
and society all its own." From Wanchese to the world. 

The Raglands, through their travel fund and numerous other gifts to 
Peace College through the decades, have enriched and enlarged the lives of 
thousands of Peace students, like Ricki, one by one, and class by class, since 

A.nd, Trent's still at it today, forty-two years later. 

Esse Quam Videri is, of course, our beloved state's motto; it is perhaps 
consequential, then, that Peace College, located blocks from the Capitol, 
adopted the same motto. 

What is profoundly consequential is that the motto of this organization, 
the North Caroliniana Society, is "Substance, not Show." For in 1973, the 
alumnae of Peace College proclaimed this year's honoree, Trent Ragland, "a 
man whose principles and beliefs are illustrated by his actions." Substance, 
not Show. 

I know that historians can debate the questions, "Do great times make 
great men and women? Or do great women and men make great times?" 


For tonight, anyway, that debate is settled, and that's the Trent 
Ragland I know! 

Congratulations, Trent, and thank you from my heart and the hearts 
of a multitude of others whose lives you have touched. 

Taura Carpenter Bingham and W. Trent Ragland, Jr., 12 May 2004 

Trent Kagland, Humanitarian 

Sherwood H. Smith, Jr. 

Thank you for this opportunity to talk about a leader, an achiever, and 
a simply wonderful person. 

At many southern dinners, "shortening" is a prized ingredient, but it 
is very difficult to use "shortening" here when speaking about Trent 
Ragland — but I will do my best to do so. And, I certainly won't be able to 
describe alloi the important steps in his life and all of the many fine things he 
has done. You have just heard about some of those things involving his 
commitment to education and contributions to Peace College. Certainly no 
words of mine could add anything to his lifetime of achievements. 

Tonight's program contains a description of many significant events 
and activities in Trent's life. A few highlights include the fact that he was born 
in Salisbury, grew up in Raleigh, and served in the Navy in World War II, after 
which he worked for and became president of Superior Stone Company. 
Later the original company became part of the Martin Marietta Corporation, 
from which Trent subsequently retired as senior vice-president. These years 
included the boom-time of the 1920s, the Great Depression, personal military 
service, and all of the economic growth and technical progress that occurred 
in the last half of the twentieth century. 

Trent's experiences, successes, and contributions have extended far 
beyond business. His full range of interests is wide, and his concern is deep 
for bettering the lives of others and for improving our community and state. 
In whatever he did, and continues to do, people have always looked to him for 
leadership. Perhaps, most of all, he is a patriot and just a great American. 

In addition to education, Trent's public service interests have 
included, among others, Rex Hospital, the United Way, the Kate B. Reynolds 


Health Care Trust, the North Carolina Symphony, the Anna Wood Ragland 
Library Fund at UNC, the Research Triangle Foundation, and the Boys and 
Girls Clubs of America and Wake County. The latter clubs happen to be one 
of the several places where our lives and interests have intersected. In all these 
activities, Trent's leadership has been significant and his sendees inspiring to 

Trent seems to have a special warmth and interest for children and 
young adults, as is evidenced by his involvement with the Boys and Girls 
Clubs, as well as with the YMCA and Salvation Army. 

The mission of the Boys and Girls Clubs is to inspire and to enable 
all children, especially the disadvantaged, to realize their full potential as 
productive, responsible, caring citizens. Stated very simply, these clubs are 
positive places for children, and they serve millions of largely at-risk boys and 
girls across the country. 

In Raleigh and Wake County alone, thousands of children have 
benefitted from the character-developing activities, the educational support, 
and the positive adult guidance provided by the Boys and Girls Clubs. 

I can assure you from my own personal experience, as someone who 
has, also, had the opportunity to work with the Boys and Girls Clubs, that they 
do, in fact, change and sometimes save lives, especially at-risk children from 
difficult circumstances. 

What first interested Trent in the Boys Clubs, I personally do not 
know, but perhaps his interest may have been influenced by experiences early 
in his own life, such as loving parents, inspiring teachers, a happy young life 
in a community that valued opportunity and self-fulfillment. With such a 
beginning, it is easv to imagine how Trent, as a successful adult business 
leader, may have naturally become a leader in helping others, especially those 
less fortunate. 

Before the formation of the first Raleigh Boys Club in 1966, Trent 
served as a National Associate for the Boys Clubs of America. In that role, he 
helped raise funds to support the expansion of clubs across our country. 
Then, in the late 1960s, he served on the founding board of the Boys Club of 
Raleigh, and he has served on the club's advisory council since that time. In 
1975, Trent's generosity made possible the purchase of four acres of land on 
Raleigh Boulevard as the site for a new Boys Club. Following that, Trent, his 
mother Alice, and his brother Billy gave funds to construct the club building 
that is named for his father, William Trent Ragland, Sr. Later a Girls Club was 
established nearby on the same property, following the merger of the Boys and 
Girls Clubs organizations. Maintaining the family legacy, Trent III has been 
active on the clubs' board of directors and served as chairman in 2002-2003. 
Thus, for almost four decades, Trent's generosity and leadership have 
contributed to bettering the lives of thousands of young people whom he may 


never know personally. He and Anna still provide Christmas gifts to the club 
every year. 

Beyond his direct support of the Boys and Girls Clubs and other 
important causes, Trent many years ago established a foundation to serve as 
a means for the members of his immediate family to embrace the challenges 
presented by social responsibility and to devote personal efforts and financial 
support for a wide range of social, educational, religious, and similar 
community needs. In this way, not only Trent and his wife Anna but also 
their three children — Trent III, Anna Hayes, and Alice Ragland — all 
participate in supporting worthy causes. Many of these supported 
organizations work directly with youth. Others are focused on helping people 
help themselves, by giving a "hand up" rather than a handout. Yet, realizing 
that some in need are simply unable to help themselves, the Ragland 
Foundation has also supported such organizations as Hospice, Meals on 
Wheels, and Family Services. 

In serving our community and many of its neediest citizens, Trent is 
a personal role-model for me and for others. He is one of the finest 
gentlemen that I have ever known, and his sterling character stands out in 
everything he has done. Trent is kind, courteous, and considerate of others. 
He is a person of great personal dignity and integrity, who wears those 
attributes very lightly and easily. The people who have had the privilege of 
knowing and working with him hold Trent not only in high esteem but in 
great affection. He is soft-spoken but incredibly conscientious, determined, 
and hardworking. Trent's life deserves not only compliments and praise, but 
it is worthy of example and imitation for all of us. 

There is another special part of Trent's life that should be noted this 
evening. Near the end of the Book of Proverbs in the Old Testament there 
is the message that a good wife is precious, and more so than rubies and 
pearls. So it is with Anna Wood Ragland, a talented, gracious, lovely 
person — a wife, a mother, a teacher, and a constant companion. She has 
brought much to Trent's life and shares in his generosity and community 

Tonight, we salute a true humanitarian, first because he deserves to 
be saluted, and second because we need to do so. That is, I think we should 
affirm our own commitments to Trent's example. His life says to us that even 
though we live in a time of rapid change, frequent stress, and even danger, we 
must remember that we also live in a time of great opportunity, promise, and 
responsibility. Following Trent's example, we can be responsible and caring 
citizens, constructively involved in improving the world around us. 

And so, for these many reasons, we enthusiastically and warmly honor 
W. Trent Ragland, Jr., for all that he does and the example that he sets. 

A Few Words About My Father 

Anna Ragland Hayes 

H.G. Jones is nothing if not a man with an agenda. Under the guise 
of a pleasant luncheon invitation, he deftly informed me of my speaking 
assignment for this evening. Specifically, I was to address two topics: Family 
and the University of North Carolina. 

In mulling over H.G.'s topic assignments, seemingly quite separate, 
I soon realized there was an overarching theme that tied the two together. As 
I think of the important ways in which my father influenced my brother and 
sister and me, I think immediately of his voracious reading, his resdess quest 
for information on a thousand different subjects, his tenacious pursuit of 
knowledge for its own sake as well as its utility. He taught us to value 
education in both its pure and its institutional form. For him, the latter was 
largely embodied in the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he 
formed bonds that have only strengthened over the years. 

Words I would use to describe my father include "lifelong learner," 
and this is the theme that ties together his role in our family life and his role 
as a faithful alumnus of UNC. 

Actually, it may have been another characteristic of my father's that 
first gave us children an interest in learning. He is a man who enjoys the 
company of others, and one summer when I was not much more than a 
toddler and still the only child, my mother went off to Europe for a few weeks 
with a cousin, leaving me with my grandparents down east in Edenton. We 
were living in Charlotte then, and Daddy was on his own and lonesome. So 
one night when a young man knocked on the door and asked if he could show 
Daddy the line of encyclopedias he was selling, Daddy was delighted to invite 


him in. When mother returned, we were the proud owners of a complete set. 

The encyclopedia was a prominent presence on our bookshelves. I 
remember random excursions through the volumes even before I could 
actually read, learning mainly that there were astonishing sources of 
information and wonder in the world if one knew how to make use of them. 
Later, Lord knows, these volumes were my salvation when it came time to 
produce a school paper on the English monarchy or the natural resources of 
the Congo or any other imaginable subject. 

I also remember a set of about a dozen children's classics covered in 
dark leather-like bindings and illustrated with gorgeous full-page color scenes 
that you matched up with the story: Treasure Island, Tittle Women, Swiss Family 
Robinson, The Secret Garden, Black Beauty, among others. These I read and re- 

Books were important in our home. Learning was important, but it 
was also pleasure, sometimes pure unalloyed joy. 

My sister Alice, when I solicited her for thoughts on this subject, 
remarked to me, "I do think I get that thirst and hunger for knowledge from 
Daddy, in the example that he set, and that's why my house is furnished with 
books! I am very grateful for that model. A curious mind is a wonderful thing 
. . . and is one secret of his continued youthfulness, I believe." 

Another characteristic of my father's nourished his ceaseless quest for 
knowledge. My father is a worrier. He is a creative worrier. It is his perceived 
role in life to think of every possible catastrophe that can arise in any given 
situation. In this way, by foreseeing disaster, he can figure out the best way to 
forestall it, and thus he is a virtual font of information on the limitless ways 
things can go wrong and how to prevent it. 

Christmas at our house always brought this trait to its annual apogee. 
Other families found dolls and bikes under their Christmas trees. At our 
house, there was always a featured "Daddy present" betraying his concerns. 
One year it was rope ladders for emergency fire escapes from upstairs 
bedrooms. Another year it was roadside emergency kits to be carried in the 
trunk of the car: flares, fire extinguisher, first-aid kit, jumper cables, flashlight, 
a big "help" sign to put in the window. When we moved to a house in the 
country that overlooked a small lake, Christmas morning revealed not a canoe 
or fishing poles, but rather professional emergency resuscitation equipment 
including stretcher and oxygen tank. 

In fairness, it should be said that there were dolls and bikes along with 
all the disaster gear. 

It should also be said, lest it be thought that my father is a gloomy 
sort, that these irrepressible "Daddy presents" were greeted with hoots of 
laughter, in which he helplessly joined. 

The instant 1 became a teenager, of course, it was revealed to me as 


if from on high that my father was a hopelessly backward person of extreme 
conservative opinions on all subjects, mired in the past and impervious to 
change. In proverbial fashion, he has gotten considerably smarter as I have 
gotten considerably older. But if I had been paying attention, I would have 
seen that far from the hide-bound traditionalist I labeled him, he was often not 
only way ahead of me but also way ahead of his peers. 

For example, sometime in the Dark Ages Daddy discovered 
computers. I am talking about ages so dark that typewriters came with no 
electricity and certainly with no wordprocessor. Typists routinely used 
carbons between sheets of paper to make multiple copies, painstakingly 
correcting by hand every mistake on ever}' copy. When Daddy attempted to 
introduce some primitive computer operations to Superior Stone Company, 
he was met by resistance even from his vice-president of finance and 
accounting, who allowed as how they'd gotten along pretty well without any 
such machines up until then, and he didn't see why they ought to "start 
fooling with them now." Nonetheless, the company did slowly introduce 
computers for all sorts of tasks. The early machines were enormous things, 
taking up an entire room to perform tasks you could probably do today on 
your cell phone. Superior Stone was so far in the vanguard that at one point 
the company's big computer was the only one in the capital city capable of 
tallying election votes. I vividly remember the excitement of election night 
when we went downtown to the office, where the television and print media 
congregated to follow the returns on the Superior Stone computer. 

There were other subjects on which he was at least as forward- 
thinking as I was, probably more so. Growing up in the South, I was at the 
tag end of the era in which young ladies were not required or expected to do 
anything but be decorative and preside over the home. I can remember my 
father's shock when I was looking at colleges and we visited several in the 
northeast. The female students, far from the carefully coiffed, skirt-wearing 
girls found on campuses in the South, looked as if they had spent the night in 
a dumpster. Their long uncombed hair fell in their faces, they wore no make- 
up and, horror of horrors, they were all dressed in jeans. Such a willful 
disregard for the feminine charms was unthinkable to him. 

And yet, I recall my father discussing Betty Friedan's earth-shaking 
book, The Feminine Mystique, with me. I seem to recall that he had actually read 
it! Moreover, any time I took it into my head to strike out in some new 
direction, he supported me. The pervasive and consistent message was that 
anything I wanted to do that would expand my knowledge and understanding 
was a good thing, whether it was a summer job in Wyoming or summer school 
in Europe. He never made me feel that I should limit myself because I was 
merely a girl. 

Such encouragement to expand one's horizons was not gender- 


specific, however. My brother Trent recalls surprising paternal acceptance of 
his decision to drop out of college when he was 19 and go out to Colorado to 

That must have required some tongue-biting. 

But it proved to be the right policy, because brother Trent returned 
not the least bit sadder although surely wiser, and finished his degree. He has 
since become a very creditable grown-up. 

When he was at UNC, Daddy never considered himself much of a 
student. He was active in student government and student life, but when it 
came to academics he was primarily interested in learning whatever would 
prepare him for working at Superior Stone Company. His bonds to the 
university, I would venture to say, grew more from his Chapel Hill friendships 
than from any classroom experience. Football weekends and dances in the 
Tin Can or Gimghoul Castle, not intellectual pursuits, were the highlights of 
those years. 

As a loyal alumnus, he has contributed to a variety of the university's 
enterprises, and he served as vice-chairman of the Carolina Challenge for 
UNC-Chapel Hill. Despite his blase undergraduate years, he has largely 
although not exclusively focused his philanthropic activities on the university's 
academic side. In particular, he has contributed to UNC's libraries. The 
North Carolina Collection and the North Carolina Collection Gallery in 
Wilson Library, as well as the newly-remodeled undergraduate library, have 
been among his special interests. 

That Daddy should gravitate to the libraries is not surprising. All 
those books in there, all that knowledge, there for anyone who avails himself 
of it. Nowadays, of course, a good deal of that knowledge can be found on 
the internet, and Daddy is once again on the cutting edge. W 7 ell, maybe it takes 
some help from a computer-sawy grandchild or a professional guru, but 
Daddy has not been daunted by the learning curve of the world wide web. 
Indeed, as some of you know, he has become an ardent argonaut of 
cyberspace. The lifelong learner, he can do tricks on his computer that I 
wouldn't begin to know how to do. 

This afternoon you heard my father describe how he met my mother 
for the first time at the beach one summer, almost 65 years ago. There is a 
picture of her as a young woman, beautiful then as she is now, in which she 
smiles out of the picture frame, a gardenia tucked behind her ear. It is a 
photograph our family has known and loved as long as I can remember. If 
you happen to stand behind my father's chair when he is not working on his 
computer, you will see that that photograph is his Screensaver. 

So tonight, on behalf of our family, I join the North Caroliniana 
Society in acknowledging my father for some of the ways he has contributed 



to the betterment of North Carolina in general and UNC in particular. It is 
a deeply meaningful recognition for all of us because it reminds us of one of 
his most important gifts to us — the never-ending love of learning in all its 

TRENT AND HIS FAMILY: Left to right, daughter Anna Ragland Hayes, 
daughter-in-law Wesandson Trent III, Anna Wood Rag/and, "Big Trent, "granddaughter 
Ken^ie Keenan, and daughter Alice Ragland. 12 May 2004. 

Presentation of the A.ward 

Willis P. Whichard 

Thank you, Laura, Sherwood, and Anna, for your fine perspectives on 
our honoree. You can and do speak for all North Carolinians. 

Here in front is a photograph of the sterling silver cup representing 
the North Caroliniana Society Award, the original of which is exhibited in the 
North Carolina Collection Reading Room in Wilson Library in Chapel Hill. 
The two-handled cup is the result of the Society's decision in 1991 to give to 
John and Ann Sanders the assignment of selecting a tangible symbol of the 
award. This is not just "another" cup; it already had a distinguished history 
connecting the family of Thomas Jefferson with that of Calvin Coolidge. 
Jefferson had a favorite granddaughter who, late in his life, married a Coolidge 
and moved to Massachusetts. Much to his sorrow he never saw her again, but 
he heard about her through his correspondence with his friend John Adams, 
who saw her with some frequency. That story, too lengthy to be repeated at 
this hour, will be found in the Society's annual report for 1990-1991. The 
trophy is appropriately engraved with the wording, "The North Caroliniana 
Society Award for distinguished contributions to North Carolina history and 
culture," to which is added the name of each recipient. 

The Sanderses also selected modest sterling cups, one of which is 
appropriately engraved and presented to each recipient. The simplicity of the 
cup is emblematic of the North Caroliniana Society's dedication to 
"Substance, not Show," the most essential quality we seek in each year's 

This year's recipient, like those before him, epitomizes substance over 
show. Trent, if you will, please come forward and accept this award and make 
such remarks as you choose. 

Acceptance of the A.ward 

W. Trent Rag/and, Jr. 

What can I say? I've already told you this afternoon more than you 
want to know. 

I am indeed honored by the North Caroliniana Society Award. 

Thank you, Laura, Sherwood, and daughter Anna, for what you have 
said about me — and for what you didn '/ say! 

I am filled with gratitude that you all would come here tonight, and 
I am absolutely delighted to see each and ever} 7 one of you. 

Thank vou all so much. 

Trent Ragland accepts the North Caroliniana Society Award from President Whichard 



FOLLOWING THE AWARD BANOUET, Trent and Anna Wood Rag/and and 
H. G. Jones pose with the sterling cup emblematic of the North Caroliniana Society Award. 
In lower photo are Anna Ragland and their son, William Trent Rug/and, III. 



FRIENDS AND MORE FRIENDS: Top, Dana and Scott Tag, Trent Ragland, 
and Nancy Eillj (event hostess); bottom. Eve and Sherwood Smith chuckle over Trent's 
reflections in the afternoon. And on the following pages, many more family and friends. 






mm ' K 

1. M 

^L M 


■1^1 I -' i 

' '&■ - ^m i f MR' A 
Am B ? "" ■ R ^Kft M 



■- ' ii 

\m\ 1 

Elk ! 

» : >^h 



^Br^l 'aH 

Eps -*-!j 


mm V 


mt^ r— - ! ^^^4 > _%^ 



Wi< ^fS^jI 



TB^JJiafe ' '^H 





t HH HK. _ 1 

fJr i 



»'* ■ jfli 




' v.;..,; 





* ;* 


-' ^ 






Paul Green 


Charles Kuralt 


Albert Coates 


Archie K. Davis 


Sam]. Ervin, Jr. 


H. G. Jones 


Saw Ragan 


North Carolina Collection 


Gertrude Sprague Carraway 


EeRoy T Walker 


John Tries Blair 


J. Carlyle Sitterson 


William C <& Ida H. 



Hugh MacRae Morton 


William S. Powell 


John E. Sanders 


Mary D.B.T <& James Semans 


Don's Waugh Betts 


David Stick 


Reynolds Price 


William McWhorter Cochrane 


Richard H. Jenrette 


Emma Neat 'Morrison 


Wilma Dykeman 


Burke Davis 


Trank Borden Hanes, Sr. 


Eaivrence T. Eondon 


Maxine Swalin 


Trank H. Kenan 


Elizabeth I r ann Moore 


W. Trent Ragland, Jr. 

A. North Caroliniana Society Award 
to Elizabeth Vann Moore 

A very special North Caroliniana Society Award was presented to 
Elizabeth Yann Moore of Edenton on 24 April 2004. President Whichard 
made the presentation during the Elizabeth Vann Moore Biennial Series for 
Historic Preservation held at Albemarle Plantation in Perquimans County. 
This was the third symposium in the series made possible by family and friends 
of Miss Moore to encourage the emulation of her scholarly work. 

The Society cited Miss Moore as historian extraordinaire for "a lifetime 
of sen-ice as a historian of North Carolina and her beloved Albemarle region, 
for her guardianship of the sources of history, for her impeccable research and 
publications, and especially for her generosity in sharing her research so 
unselfishly that other authors and their readers might enjov the fruits of her 

A graduate of UNC-Chapel Hill and Columbia University, Miss Moore 
elevated local history in North Carolina to a higher level of scholarship, and 
her research has led to significant publications both by herself and by others 
to whom she supplied documentation and assistance. The North Caroliniana 
Society honored itself by joining in recognizing her as our state's outstanding 
local historian, spry and still enthusiastically researching at age 92. 

The North Caroliniana Society 

Wilson Library, Campus Box 3930 
Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27514-8890 

Telephone (919) 962-1172; Fax (919) 962-4452; hsjoi/esia ' em ail, /inc. edit; 

Chartered on 1 1 September 1975 as a private nonprofit corporation under provisions of Chapter 
55A of the General Statutes of North Carolina, the North Caroliniana Society is dedicated to the promotion of 
increased knowledge and appreciation of North Carolina's heritage through the encouragement of scholarly 
research and writing in and teaching of state and local history, literature, and culture; publication of 
documentary materials, including the numbered, limited-edition North Caroliniana Society Imprints and North 
Caroliniana Society Keepsakes; sponsorship of professional and lay conferences, seminars, lectures, and 
exhibitions; commemoration of historic events, including sponsorship of markers and plaques; and through 
assistance to the North Carolina Collection of UNC-Chapel Hill and other cultural organizations with 
kindred objectives. With an entirely volunteer staff, the Society is headquartered in the incomparable North 
Carolina Collection in UNC's Wilson Library. 

Incorporated by H. G.Jones, William S. Powell, and Louis M. Connor, Jr., who soon were joined 
by a distinguished group of North Carolinians, the Society was limited to a hundred members for the first 
decade. It elects from time to time additional individuals meeting its strict criterion of "adjudged 
performance" in service to their state's culture — i.e., those who have demonstrated a continuing interest in 
and support of the historical, literary, and cultural heritage of North Carolina. The Society, a tax-exempt 
organization under provisions of Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, expects continued service 
from its members, and for its programs it depends upon the contributions, bequests, and devises of its 
members and friends. Its IRS number is 56-1 1 19848. Upon request, contributions to the Society may be 
counted toward Chancellor's Club membership. The Society administers a fund, given in 1987 by the 
Research Triangle Foundation in honor of its retiring board chairman and the Society's longtime president, 
from which nearly 250 Archie K. Davis Fellowships have been awarded for research in North Carolina's 
historical and cultural resources. The Society also sponsors the North Caroliniana Book Award, recognizing 
a book that best captures the essence of North Carolina, and it confers the William Stevens Powell Award 
upon a senior student who has contributed most to an understanding of the history and traditions of The 
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. 

A highlight of the Society's year is the presentation of the North Caroliniana Society Award to 
an individual or organization for long and distinguished sendee in the encouragement, production, 
enhancement, promotion, and preservation of North Caroliniana. Starting with Paul Green, the Society has 
recognized Albert Coates, Sam ]. Ervin,Jr., Sam Ragan, Gertrude S. Carraway,John Fries Blair, William and 
Ida Friday, William S. Powell, Mary and James Semans, David Stick, William M. Cochrane, Emma Neal 
Morrison, Burke Davis, Lawrence F. London, Frank H. Kenan, Charles Kuralt, Archie K. Davis, H. G. 
Jones, J. Carlyle Sitterson, Leroy T. Walker, Hugh M. Morton, John L. Sanders, Doris Betts, Reynolds Price, 
Richard H. Jenrette, Wilma Dvkeman, Frank Borden Hanes, Sr., Maxine Swalin, Elizabeth Yann Moore, 
W. Trent Ragland, jr., and, on its sesquicentennial, the North Carolina Collection. 


Willis P. Whichard, President 

Archie K. Davis (1911-1998) and William C. Fndav, Presidents Emeriti 

William S. Powell, I ice-President, H. G. Jones, Secretary and Treasurer 

Martin H. Brinkley, H. David Bruton, Kevin Cherry, James W. Clark, Jr., Bern" A. Hodges, 

Dana Borden Lacy, Nancy Cobb Lilly, W. Trent Ragland, Jr., John L. Sanders 

Ex Officio: Archives and History Director, North Carolina Collection Curator 

Honorary Life Director: William McWhorter Cochrane 

Directors Emeriti: Frank Borden Hanes, Sr., Henry W. Lewis, Edward L. Rankin, Jr., 

Robert W. Scott, William D. Snider 


(Note: Small photos on pages 41 -44 are numbered from top left to bottom right.) 

Jan G. Hensley: Page 3 (both); page 15; page 22 (right); page 32 (left); page 
36; page 39 (top); page 41, numbers 3, 4, 5, 9, 10; page 42, numbers 3 through 
10; page 44, number 10. 

Jerry W. Cotten: Front cover; page 16 (both); page 22 (left); page 28; page 29 
(both); page 32 (right); page 38; page 39 (bottom); page 40 (both); page 41, 
numbers 1, 2, 6, 7, 8; page 42, numbers 1, 2; page 43 (all); page 44 (numbers 
1 through 9). 

Peace College: Page 18. 

North Carolina Collection: Page 45. 

H. G. Jones: Page 46 (both). 


H. G.Jones, General Editor 

No. 1. An Evening at Monticello: An Essay in Reflection (1978) 
by Edwin M. Gill 

No. 2. The Paul Green I Know (1 978) 
by Elizabeth Lay Green 

No. 3. The Albeit Coafes I Know (1979) 
by Gladys Hall Coates 

No. 4. The Sam Yimn I Know (1 980) 
by Jean Conyers Ervin 

No. 5. Sam Ragan (1981) 

by Neil Morgan 

No. 6. Thomas Wolfe of North Carolina (1982) 
edited by H. G. Jones 

No. 7. Gertrude Sprague Carraway (1982) 
by Sam Ragan 

No. 8. John Fries Blair (1983) 
by Margaret Blair McCuiston 

No. 9. William Clyde Friday and Ida Howell 'Friday (1 984) 
by Georgia Carroll Kyser and William Brantley Aycock 

No. 10. William S. Powell, Historian (1985) 
by David Stick and William C. Friday 

No. 1 1 . "Gallantry Unsurpassed" (1 985) 
edited by Archie K. Davis 

No. 12. Mary and Jim Semans, North Carolinians (1986) 
by W. Kenneth Goodson 

No. 13. The High Water Mark (1986) 
edited by Archie K. Davis 

No. 14. Raleigh and Oninn: The Explorer and His Boswell (1 987) 
edited by H. G.Jones 

No. 15. A Half Century in Coastal History (1987) 
by David Stick 

No. 16. Thomas Wolfe at Eighty-seven (1988) 
edited by H. G. Jones 

No. 17. A Third of a Centmy in Senate Cloakrooms (1988) 
bv William McWhorter Cochrane 

No. 18. The Emma Neal Morrison I Knon '(1989) 

by Ida Howell Friday 




No. 19. Thomas Wolfe's Composition Books (1990) 
edited by Alice R. Cotten 

No. 20. My Father, Burke Dans (1990) 
by Angela Davis-Gardner 

No. 21. A Half Century with Rare Books (1991) 
by Lawrence F. London 

No. 22. Frank H. Kenan: An Appreciation (1992) 
edited bv Archie K. Davis 

No. 23. Growing Up in North Carolina, by Charles Kuralt, and 
The Uncommon Laureate, by Wallace H. Kuralt (1993) 

No. 24. Chancellors Extraordinary: J. Carlyle Sitterson and LeRoy T. Walker (1995) 
bv William C. Friday and Willis P. Whichard 

No. 25. Historical Consciousness in the Early Republic (1995) 
edited by H. G. Jones 

No. 26. Sixty Years with a Camera (1996) 
by Hugh M. Morton 

No. 27. William Gaston as a Public Man (1 997) 
bv John L. Sanders 

No. 28. William P. Gumming and the Study of Cartography (1998) 
edited bv Robert Cumming 

No. 29. My Lore Affair with Carolina (1998) 
by Doris Waugh Betts 

No. 30. A Single but Huge Distinction (1999) 
by Reynolds Price 

No. 3 1 . Richard fenrette 's Adventures in Historic Preservation (2000) 
edited by H. G. Jones 

No. 32. Sketches in North Carolina USA 1872 to 1878 (2001) 
by Mortimer O. Heath; edited by H. G. Jones 

No. 33. Roots and Branches (2001) 
bv Wilma Dvkeman 

No. 34. Glimmers in the Gloaming (2002) 
bv Frank Borden Hanes, Sr. 

No. 35. Coming of Age in North Carolina's Fifth Century, by Maxine Swalin, and 
The North Carolina Symphony, The People's Orchestra, by John L. Humber (2003) 

No. 36. Reflections (2004) 
bv W. Trent Ragland, |r. 


Form No. A-368, Rev. 8/95